[Towertalk] Phillystran break strength vs. diameter?

Jon Ogden na9d@speakeasy.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 23:13:23 -0500

I had a chat with the Phillystran guy at Dayton.  You have to use the EHS
equivalent size.  The breaking strength of the Phillystran is pretty much
the same as the EHS.

So for whatever size cable you would use for EHS, use the equivalent in
Phillystran.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 9/11/02 10:51 PM, K7LXC@aol.com at K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/11/02 7:23:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, w4pa@yahoo.com
> writes:
>
>> There is info about breaking strength for Phillystran, but nothing
>> I can find that shows breaking strength vs. diameter.  According
>> to the calipers, what we have is .26".  What I can't tell is how
>> to find out what the breaking str is for this.
>
> Phillystran OD's are:
>
> HPTG2100        0.17"   6mm 2100# beaking strength
> HPTG4000        0.22"   8mm 4000# bs            3/16" EHS equivalent
> HPTG6700        0.37"   9mm 6700# bs            1/4" EHS equivalent
> HPTG11200   0.44"   11mm
>>
>> Questions:  Will this Phillystran, terminated to 1/4" EHS guy wire
>> at the ends be adequate for holding up a 120' Rohn 45 tower done
>> 'by the Rohn book' for engineering and not overloaded with
>> antennas?
>>
> Well, you've got 3/16" EHS equivalent so as long as that what the Rohn
> drawings call for, knock yourself out.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA