[Towertalk] Cushcraft R5 , Problem ???

Ffive VHN f5vhn@yahoo.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:46:19 +0100 (BST)

Hello,
I was about to permanently install my Cushcraft R5,
but I thought I would test it out first.
I bought my R5 second hand and it has been spray
painted black (With car spray paint I think)

I have installed it on a 7m ally pole, the SWR's on
all the bands are good or OK.
I was using 100W and about 40m (120ft) of RG58 and
PL259's (the coax is made of two lengths and has a
barrel connector in the middle).

The SWRs are fine.

I thought I would take advantage of the contest
weekend to test out the antenna.

However 'nobody' can hear me.
On receive I have no problems, everything seems ok
there.
But it was only the guys I was receiving 20dB over S9
that were able to pull me out.

I received lots of hams using 100w or less (18 MHz)
both local (Europe) and DX but they could not hear me.

So where is the power going.
Is it possible its being absorbed /dissipated in the
ferrite matching section ?
Has the paint got anything to do with it ?
Does the 6m ally pole have something to do with it ?
What is the efficiency of this antenna, it has 4 traps
?

Robert
F5VHN@yahoo.com