[Towertalk] RE: HyGain 155CA and 105CA assembly problem

Jim Idelson k1ir@designet.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:15:54 -0400

Hi everyone,

I've been receiving mail on this all day! Well, thanks to all who responded.
This has clearly been a problem for many HyGain owners. I heard from people
who've had this kind of trouble with TH-7, TH-11 and the monobanders. So, this
one deserves a complete listing of all the solutions.

First, note that some HyGain antennas have been supplied with tubing that is
slotted only on one side. Also, the hose clamps supplied are a bit large for
the smaller diameter element sections. Here are the suggestions I received:

1.   Cut the second slot into the end of the element section.
2.   Replace the clamps with better quality clamps.
2.   Place the hose clamp as close to the end of the section as possible.
3.   Oil the hose clamp liberally, and it will be possible to tighten it about
20% more.
4.   Use two hose clamps.
5.   Use smaller hose clamps with a narrower band - they seem to work better in
the smaller diameter application.
6.   Add a self-tapping screw to secure the sections in place.
7.   Use a rivet through one side.
8.   Use a rivet through the whole element.
9.   Use a bolt through the whole element secured with a locknut.
10. Do all of the above.

In considering whether to cut the extra slot, one person warned that the swaged
section is already a weak point, so cutting a second slot might make it an even
more likely point of failure.

I just replaced a few of the clamps with some spares by a different
manufacturer, and I found that they can be tightened up a lot more. I think
I'll replace the clamps that won't tighten enough and see if things improve,
and then I like the self-tapping screw idea, if necessary. That's easy.

Thanks again for all the help.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir@designet.com