[Towertalk] SteppIR Performance and misleading advertising

Joe Reisert jreisert@jlc.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:10:00 -0400

Terry and Steve (WB2WIK),

Why are you guys trying to trash Fluid Motion and putting our false data.

If you notice, Fluid Motion gains are published in QST. Although they are
in dBi (the typical numbers done with computer modeling), one only had to
subtract 2.1 for dBd. They aren't trying to pull some fancy testing or
ground gain etc, like some companies do! The truth of the matter, according
to Mike at Fluid Motion, is that they did send the antenna out to an
antenna range and had the gain measured. If they hadn't done this and
didn't have the proper modeling, ARRL would not have accepted their
advertisements with the gain included.

As for the Fluid Motion  performance claims etc., it is easy to verity on
YO etc. using 22 Ohm feed impedance. I've done it. The chosen driven
element resonance impedance for their design is about 22 Ohms so they use a
Sevick type unbalanced to balanced toroid to get a 50 Ohm match. 15 meters
is near the optimum boom length (about 0.35 WL). However, the shorter boom
does penalize 20 meters by about .5-.7 dB, a small price to get good
performance from 10 meters through 20 meters on a 3 element Yagi.
Furthermore, if you don't like the settings they provide (several
frequencies for 10, 15 and 20 and one for 12 and 17 meters), you can set
you own and go for maximum gain with poorer F/B, not a bad choice for those
not needing high F/B like us on the coasts.

Joe, W1JR