[Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors

Eje Gustafsson Eje Gustafsson <macahan@fament.com>
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:38:10 -0500

Hello Jon,

Uhm. Yes. There are surge suppressors both for Cat 5 (ethernet) and
phone lines. You should seriously never plug in a computer to your
phoneline without a phone line surge suppressor unless you live in
lighting free area.
In our computer store we see 2-4 computers with blown modems and
powersupplies after each thunderstorm.

A Cat5 surge suppressor is around $12-20 and functions for normal
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PNET1&displaylist=OutputInputSurge,Asterisks#anchor1
ethernet. Phoneline suppressors there are some $10 onces at
radioshack. On more expensive power surge suppressors you often have
a phone line suppressor.
If you need to run Power over Ethernet (PoE) then you need more
expensive suppressors that protect all 8 pins and can do more then
10-15v. Then ISDN/T1 protectors comes tome mind (more expensive and
don't work to good with 100Mbit).
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PDIGITEL&displaylist=OutputInputSurge,Asterisks#anchor1

Hope this helps.

/ Eje