[Towertalk] Rebar Cage

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:23:55 -0400

At 09:09 AM 9/20/02 -0400, Jerry Plemmons wrote:
>The document recommends Ufer only as an augmentation to a properly designed
>and implemented ground system.  And that, yes, a strike, under certain
>circumstances, can cause the foundation to crack.  I think that is what was
>said at the beginning of this thread before a plethora of experts took issue
>with it.

That's awfully selective, Jerry.  The article also says, "It is a common
misconception to think that a lightning strike will blow up a concrete pad."

As for the "certain circumstances," they say, "We have only seen this
happen once on a mountain top in the Nevada desert.  However, a few poorly
implemented occurrences can give a valuable technique a bad
reputation."  In addition. the case they describe involved J-bolts, not a
rebar cage.

What was said at the beginning of this thread was nothing but a restatement
of the common misconception.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower