[Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G

kr7x@attbi.com kr7x@attbi.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:55:27 +0000

Chuck:

I am taking off my S.E.,P.E. hat here and giving you a
potential fix.

Get a piece of 1"x1"x1/8" steel angle about 12" long.
Place it at the split location as best you can trying to
center it over the split and clearing the diagonals and
horizontals. It would be nice if it was centered on the
split but that may not be possible. You may have to
rotated it around the leg to get clearance from the
diagonals and horizontals. Weld it with a 1/16" or
larger groove weld using E70xx electrode. weld both
edges of the angle to the leg for the full length of the
angle. Take care and skip weld, alternate on both edges
as you go and fill in to get the full length weld so as
not to warp the leg or angle and burn through the leg.

The idea is to replace the leg area with the angle area
in the region of the split, with the angle acting as a
splint.

There may be other ideas out there just a valid.

Good Luck

Hank / KR7X