[TowerTalk] Bob Browns W0SYK Rotating Big Bertha

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 1 12:40:00 EST 2003

The article about the home brew big Bertha mast at W0SYK was in a 1972 to 75
issue of 73.  In 1970's prices he spent nearly $1,500 for materials..then
there was the welding.  A serious proposition by any standards.

In the past few years I have seen a 100 foot big bertha sell for $5.000
(pick up) and $8.000 packed ready for loading.  There was a rotating Clement
tower (140 feet) that was about $5,000
including guys, rings, and base.  This was made by Tri-Ex with their
individual sections.  I have a letter signed by Frank Clement at Tri-Ex
(1982) and this tower was well over $8,000 then. The guying required an acre
and one half.

Dave K4JRB