[TowerTalk] Re: TriEx/Tashjian?

Bob Smith na6t at na6t.com
Thu Apr 3 23:23:17 EST 2003

Hi Steve et all,

I've purchased cables, pulleys and rotor plates from Karl Tashijian-Triex
towers at http://www.karltashjian.com/.  Karl is a small company that is
starting up a dead horse.  He is almost a one man band with a few people
behind him, I think.  The rotor plates took about 6 weeks to arrive, while
the cables and pulleys were shipped within a week.  The only problems I
found were,

1. The rotor plates were still made to mount a 3 hole Thrust bearing, not
the 4 bolt square thrust bearings.
2. The rotor plates had to be re-drilled for the orion 2800 rotor even
though I asked that that be the configuration drilled.  I wanted
     holes galvanized inside, but with the Hygain rotor pattern, I had to
redrill and then cold galvanize the holes with paint.

3.  Other than that Karl was more than helpful with the pulleys, cables and
springs for my LM-470.  He informed me that the pulleys had been resized to
a larger mounting bolt and that the stainless cables would be more money,
but christ,, the last set lasted 15 years,, not bad for being 2 miles from
the pacific ocean.

other than that, I would recommend Karl for parts, but I haven't purchased
a tower,

Bob Smith
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

     Does anyone have direct recent experience with TriEx/Tashjian products?
Has anyone actually ordered and received a tower? Any info appreciated.

     In the same vein, anyone know what's going on with the First Call
Comm/TriEx debacle? Is K2QBV around? On trial? In jail? On a prolonged
DXpedition with your money? Tnx.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH