[TowerTalk] baloon supported wire verticals

Chuck Counselman ccc at space.mit.edu
Fri Apr 4 10:13:56 EST 2003

At 9:35 AM -0500 4/4/03, Jerry Connelly wrote:
>...has anyone tried using two balloons with a dipole strung between them?

No; but, if I did, I would minimize the weight of the feedline by
Zepp and/or Windom feeding.  Zepp feed uses a two-parallel-wire
feedline, one-quarter-wave long, with one wire connected to the end
of a half-wavelength antenna wire and the other feed wire floating.
Windom feed uses a single-wire feedline connected to a
half-wavelength antenna wire off-center.  At the transmitter end, the
single wire is driven against "ground."

Zepp-Windom feed uses a two-parallel-wire feedline, one-quarter-wave
long, with one wire connected to the half-wavelength antenna wire at
the 60% point, and the other feed wire floating.  The input impedance
at the transmitter end of the two-parallel-wire feedline is 50 ohms,
and no additional balun is required.  A very excellent antenna, which
I have used in the field, for QRP DX.

I'd make the two-parallel-wire feedline of thin Litz wire, with
sections of plastic drinking straws for spacers.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS