[TowerTalk] Tower collapse in South Dakota

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Apr 11 00:42:06 EDT 2003

I have heard many people who are NOT hams refer to those thar cables as
guide wires... if you are not familiar with masts, you probably are not
familiar with a technique called guying!

It kinda makes sense and sure sounds close to right, I am sure many
people think they are indeed guide wires... in our own ways hams are
actually somewhat educated in things others never get involved with -
gee that makes us a national resource!

Of course we also introduce words like rotor for rotator, etc...

For most of us this acquired knowledge is not even realized which is
good in that we probably would gasp at the financial outlay we made to
get it and then probably never see a financial return on it like we
would insist had it been in the form of a college course or the like!

The "guide wire" remark was heard by me a few weeks ago when my Mom had
a yard sale and a customer looked in the back yard and said - I saw all
those "guide wires" but had to look around to see them tall towers you
had put up - I used to put up them Rohn towers!  [he knew it was Rohn
55, but also used the term 'guide wire'] - I kinda doubt he wrote the
specs for the installation of said towers :-)

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Only 16 days until the Florida QSO Party - check out the details at our
web site:

http://www.qsl.net/fqp