[TowerTalk] Rohn Tops

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Apr 11 12:58:01 EDT 2003

At 10:11 AM 4/11/03 -0400, EUGENE  SMAR wrote:
>      I agree with Jim about the usefulness of a flat plate on which to stand
>on the tower top.  The Trylon Titan series of towers (mine is a T-500-64)
>has such a flat plate a few inches below the top, on which I have mounted an
>industrial-quality bearing block.  It sure is comfortable standing on this
>or either of the other two flat plates (second bearing plate and rotator
>plate) when doing tower or antenna maintenance.  More comfortable than
>standing on the slanting angle steel.

On the other hand, in my experience, if the antenna is mounted right above
the pointy-top, then it is very easy to work on while standing below the
point where the section begins to narrow.  The one real advantage of the
straight section comes if you have to climb up and stand on the boom of the
bottom antenna in order to reach an antenna that is further up the
mast.  It winds up being a long stretch to get one foot on the boom while
still keeping the other foot on the tower below.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 11 April 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm