[TowerTalk] Rotor Servicing Question

Jon Ogden na9d at speakeasy.net
Sat Apr 12 13:42:58 EDT 2003

Since I am replacing antennas, I figured I would take my rotor down and
service it since in the 6.5 years I've had it I've never done it and who
knows when it was serviced previously!

It's a Ham-M.  I've got it all apart and am in the process of cleaning the
old grease off the ring gear and bearings, housing, etc.  Do I need to take
the motor off and clean all the motor gears as well?  They really look to
still be in pretty decent shape.  Everything turns very smoothly.

Secondly, what's the best grease to use?  I have used on another rotor in
the past, the green marine grease.  It's waterproof and is meant for harsh
environments.  Is this OK to use or is a lithium grease or some other sort
better to use?

I've had some problems receiving e-mail from the list due to a screw-up on
my part, so if you are replying to the list, please reply directly to me as
well.

Thanks and 73,

Jon
NA9D