[TowerTalk] Rotor Servicing Question

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 15:47:33 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/12/03 10:47:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
na9d at speakeasy.net writes:

> Since I am replacing antennas, I figured I would take my rotor down and
>  service it since in the 6.5 years I've had it I've never done it and who
>  knows when it was serviced previously!

    Good for you. I would NEVER put up a used rotator that someone hasn't
gone thru inspecting it and re-lubing the bearings at a minimum.

>  It's a Ham-M.  I've got it all apart and am in the process of cleaning the
>  old grease off the ring gear and bearings, housing, etc.  Do I need to take
>  the motor off and clean all the motor gears as well?  They really look to
>  still be in pretty decent shape.  Everything turns very smoothly.

    Sure - clean the gears to get rid of any grit on them.

>  Secondly, what's the best grease to use?  I have used on another rotor in
>  the past, the green marine grease.  It's waterproof and is meant for harsh
>  environments.  Is this OK to use or is a lithium grease or some other sort
>  better to use?

    The particular grease isn't that critical. If you live in an area where
it freezes in the winter, I'd use a low temp grease like one for snowmobiles.

    The thing that IS critical is the amount. The owner's manual says a TOTAL
of one thimblefull of grease for the bearings. You don't want to use too much
- it'll just cause problems when it dries out.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH