[TowerTalk] Tower Attachment

FireBrick w9ol at billnjudy.com
Wed Apr 16 11:14:26 EDT 2003

As an retired Chicago Licensed contractor I give my suggestions.

The situation with siding, either aluminum or vinyl is the possibility of
bending or cracking.
So with suggestions geared toward avoiding unsightly after effects:

I suggest mounting you bracket directly under the lap lip of the siding.
This is where the siding is next to the sheathing underneath.
To protect the siding, I suggest a simple 2X4 of redwood or cedar, obviously
slightly wider than the bracket.
The wood will also help dampen the vibration or creaking during windy
periods.

What you want to do it get the bracket far enough away from the siding
to prevent any rusty water from flowing down the siding and staining.
Of course your going to rust proof paint the bracket, but even the most
minor amount of rust can produce a big stain.
A slight deflection of the bracket so that it's pitched down toward the
tower will
also help that dripping.