[TowerTalk] Concrete suggestions

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 15:56:52 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/16/03 11:41:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rhackler at mindspring.com writes:

> So, here's the meat of the question.  I am in the process of putting up a 50
>  foot Universal Aluminum Tower (50-9).  I have the hole dug and it is
>  slightly larger than the dimensions specified by universal.  Universal
>  specifies 4x4x4 and I'm closer to 4x4x4.5.  My calculations come up to just
>  over 2.5 yards of concrete.
>
>  The problem is that there is no easy way to get to the hole.  My front yard
>  is very steep, so bringing a full size truck to the back is not an option.
>  I haven't checked, but I imagine that pumping is prohibitively expensive.

    Most concrete companies have something like a 3 or 4 yard minimum. Got a
use for the excess?

    Yes, a line-pump ain't cheap - probably $3-400 - but they can pump up to
400 feet so distance isn't a big problem.

>  don't relish the idea of carting 200 bags of sacrete to the back and mixing
>  it.

    Got any Mexican day laborers in your area? Day laborers can be hired thru
Labor Express, Labor Ready, etc. but that won't be cheap. It might not cost
too much more to get it pumped and then you've got the correct mix you need.

    You just have to be aware that the concrete in the hoses will have to be
emptied in your yard so be prepared for the mess. You can let it dry, break
it up with a sledge, and then haul it off later to get rid of it.

>  As a side note, I'm concerned with the specs (or lack thereof) that
>  universal provided.  The base has no rebar in it.  With a block of that
>  size, I think Rebar is probably a requirement.  Your thoughts?

    Rebar typically is there to keep the concrete from cracking while it's
drying so it's not generally structural. A 2.5 cubic yard hole is pretty
small as these tower bases go so feel free to do what the manufacturer says.

    If you'd feel better by putting rebar in there - knock yourself out. This
is an exception to the LXC Prime Directive to "DO what the manufacturer says"
since doing this will over-engineer your installation a little. I'll never
discourage someone from over-engineering something.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -