[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters (was "Concrete suggestions")

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Apr 18 14:39:50 EDT 2003

> I make a statement here and challenge anyone to refute and I put up
$1000
> reward.
>
> "Properly designed self supporting tower, with design loads, for
certain
> weather conditions and outfitted with at least one set of properly
placed
> guy
> wires (with proper anchors) will be able to withstand greater loads or
> more
> severe weather conditions than without guy wires."
>
> Prove me wrong and get kilobuck!

Un-possible.  You have stated a problem where no one could win.  By
requiring a 'properly designed' tower and 'properly placed' guy wires
you could take any example sent and say it simply wasn't 'properly'
designed or the wires weren't 'properly' placed.

The original point of this discussion was about taking an off the shelf
amateur tower that the manufacturer had not specified guy wires for and
then adding them yourself.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net