[TowerTalk] Crank up Tower MORE ....Clarify

Steve Narducci w9sn at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 18:28:44 EDT 2003

Wow, I never dreamed I would get this kind of response.  I got so many
emails and replies, it would be hard for me to answer them all and I do
thank each and every one who took the time to do so!!   For those that
asked me about this:  The top bracing between the rotor and the thrust
is made of 2 inch heavy channel steel.  The aluminum would certainly
twist before this would.  The bottom legs are made of 3 inch heavy
channel steel. (weighed almost 100 lbs each.)  There are 3 cables that
support the tower with the first one being on the winch.  The winch will
not take the load all the time.  I have made a small piece of steel that
I slide into the tower between the bottom of the second section and the
aluminum heavy channel bolted to the face of the bottom section, 5 feet
down from it's top.  The two upper cables will take the load. And they
are only supporting about 400 lbs without antennas. They are stainless
heavy cables.
After reviewing many replies from many crank up owners, I have redrawn
my new goals.  I will make new bracing that will allow the tower to only
go up about 65 ft.  At that level, the entire top section is still
retracted inside the third section and there is much more retraction in
the 2nd and 3rd sections too.  I will also put one set of guys on it but
not a lot of tension on them.  Instead of the 4 element Steppir, I will
probably only put the 3 element, and instead of a 2 element 40M yagi, I
will only go with a DW40 single element.  This location is on top of a
nice 30 ft hill.  Nearly everything around it drops off at least 25 to
30 ft for many wave lengths. Any comments are still welcomed, and yes I
have thick skin!  Thank you guys..Steve