[TowerTalk] Side mount on Trylon Tower

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 15:28:54 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/21/03 3:01:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
olinger at bellsouth.net writes:

> Need to remember that the Trylon corners are not exactly vertical (go in
inch
> and a half each section). Also the vertical pieces are 120 degree rounded
> corner channel material, not tubes as on Rohn 25, etc.

    Slight clarifications: the sections taper 3-inches per section and the
legs are 60 degree angle. The important point being that the legs are not
round.

>  Using U-bolts on them will deform the vertical channel shape, and create a
> weak point in the vertical piece. Not good given the high compression
forces
> that can occur in the wind. The vertical has a widened "U" shape which gets
> its strength from the same concepts that make an I beam strong.
>
>  Whatever is placed on a corner will have to be something specially
> fabricated with some odd bends to mount flat to the faces of the vertical
> channel material, and use the existing holes for mounting.
>
>  A clamp would have to be a special designed item that prevents deforming
the
> "U".

    It's really easier than that. There are many unoccupied holes already
drilled in the leg. Use a piece of angle iron or aluminum and bolt it to two
legs; one hole will go in an unoccupied hole and the other one will go where
there is a diagonal attached - no U-bolt or special hardware required. I'd
back up the nut with an oversized washer to spread the stress over a larger
area.

    Next attach a pipe vertically between the horizontal pieces - now you can
attach a fixed antenna or hang the rest of the swinging gate sidemount.

    If you've got some angle iron or aluminum, U-bolts, aluminum plates (for
pipe-to-pipe mounts; i.e. boom-to-mast clamps), and some pipe - you can build
just about anything for tower appurtenances.

    Go nuts!

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -