[TowerTalk] How to fix a bent tower?

blkcat28 Blkcat28 at atlantic.net
Sun Apr 27 22:08:01 EDT 2003

Roger,

Not being an engineer, I can only say my observations are just that.
Having said that, the guyed tower will be putting all of it's downward
pressure on the washer stacks and not the whole mounting face.  I do not
believe that this is just as strong and may cause a failure of the faces
at the washers.  I would have either left the slight bend in the tower
and make the mast vertical by positioning the rotor, or returned the bad
section for another one.  If you must use these sections, next time
you're on the tower, measure the gaps at the corners and manufacture a
tapered triangle shim and substitute it for the washers.  In that way
the whole load where the washers were will be on the whole mounting
surface.  I don't know how far the drive is, but if you don't have to
bring tower sections and all, it may be a bit easier.

GL and 73,

John
KB4CRT