[TowerTalk] How to fix a bent tower?

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 23:06:36 EDT 2003

In a message dated 4/27/03 6:46:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rmurad at superig.com.br writes:

>  I'd like to know if what I did had compromised the tower. A much better
>  explanation of the problem, including several pictures is at my WEB page:
>  http://igspot.ig.com.br/rmurad/new-tower-install3.html

Looking at the pictures, that is not the best way to join the tower sections.
Better way is to have legs being bolted together, either overlapping or using
sleeves to overlap both legs.
If you want to use your "fix" you would be better off to have shim or insert,
covering area from the corner of the legs and slightly over the holes for
bolts (triangular shape). You need the support between the legs. The way you
have it, the leg is pushing on the cross piece, over the washers, which could
bend or break (cross pieces are usually weaker than the legs). The weakest
spot is where the holes for the bolts are. When you will finish the tower,
quite likely the cross pieces will bend at the washers and legs might "come
together" and be crooked again with additional weakening of the joint. The
shim should have the same angle as the opening between the faces of the
mounting surfaces to eliminate any strain on cross members and provide
support between the ends of the legs.
For guyed tower that way of joining the sections might be OK, but definitely
a no-no for self supporting tower!
If it is manufacturing problem, I would return and replace the defective
section, you paid for good stuff, you should get the good stuff or put the
"shorted" section on the top.
Also looking at the cable clamps, I think there was a thread about using them
previously, and you might want to look at that.

Not a professional advice, just opinion based on what is seen in the pictures.

73 and GL

Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV

At the risk of being unsubscribed, I would caution some "advisors" about
giving advice without understanding the problems and giving "solutions." When
the antenna falls apart, not much of a big deal, but when the tower falls....
you have seen some pictures and.