[TowerTalk] Lifting a TX472 off a semi & cost of pumping concrete in my area

mcduffie at actcom.net mcduffie at actcom.net
Tue Apr 29 16:33:51 EDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:04:22 +0000, k0myw at att.net wrote:

> If for some reason it's impossible for the wrecker to deposit the tower
> directly at the base site -- and if you don't have several willing strong
> backs to help you lug the thing the final few feet -- I found that an
> automotive engine hoist handled my tower easily. Of course, I had the luxury
> of firm asphalt pavement right up to the tower base; you probably would have
> to lay down sturdy plywood or some other temporary "pavement" to protect the
> lawn and prevent the hoist's small wheels from sinking into the turf.

I've heard several light mentions of, and even saw a picture on
someone's web site recently of, several people carrying a crankup
tower by hand.  I cringed when I saw that picture and feel I must
bring up one very important thing.  When you move a nested crankup
tower, be absolutely sure that all sections are fastened in place so
they cannot move either direction, EVEN A LITTLE BIT.  Loss of
fingers, etc., can result if there is slippage while being handled.
Sliding pipes all the way through the tower and using them as
handles isn't a bad idea and keeps all hands out of harm's way.

When we took mine down at the previous owner's QTH and removed it,
we used sheets of plywood as portable sidewalk.  Pictures of this
operation can be seen on my tower web site at www.qsl.net/ag0n under
the "Moving Day" menu item.  It's just another way of doing it.

Gary

--
a g 0 n at a r r l dot n e t
http colon slash slash mcduffie dot ws