[TowerTalk] Twin-coax balanced line

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Aug 5 19:17:13 EDT 2003

Yes, Chuck, I ran similar calculations and found that I needed to
go with at least 7/8" heliax in order to be competitive with open
wire line when trying to feed antennas with very high input
impedances. If you have a sturdy tower and can find the line
used for a good price, it does offer than advantage of shielding
which alleviates the problem associated with routing open
wire line. The other approach is try to find a quasi broadband
antenna that offers a better than ~6:1 VSWR (ref 50 ohms)
over the frequencies of interest. This also makes the tradeoff
a little better.