[TowerTalk] Single point ground system connection to tower(??????)

John Dooley w6zip at charter.net
Sat Aug 9 06:18:39 EDT 2003

At the Polyphaser web site Engineering notes:
"The tower ground system and the single point ground system must be interconnected. This interconnection should be below grade and with a bare low inductance conductor. The coax cable shield must not be the only interconnection between ground systems." My question is Does this imply I run a ground lead directly from my grounding grid at the tower 120 ft. to the entrance panel and connect that with my electrical single point ground, then additional ground connection to the ground rod located at the back of my equipment? Very confused and can't seem to know if I will create a loop where all potentials will not rise and fall at the same time if I have a direct hit. Right now I'm installing my US Tower TMM-433 approximately 120 feet from the garage entrance and see a need to create an entrance panel for the 1/2 hard line feeding the antenna at the tower. I plan to ground the hard line at the top of the first tower section and at the base, this will be tied to three ground rods around the outside of the tower form all interconnected by cadweld one shots. But does the technical article call for an additional ground line run over 100' to my entrance panel also. The plan is to ground the entrance panel to a ground rod at the feed line entrance to the shack and have this tied to the electrical single point grounding grid in the home. Somewhere I feel I'm missing the validity of having a "single point ground" because of all the measures I'm planning on taking, or just not experienced with a solid reliable system that I can draw designs from. Can anyone help me with this???
Thanks,
John W6ZIP
Victorville, Ca.