[allowed] [TowerTalk] Re: Antenna element vibration damping - How

Didier Juges didier at arc.net
Sun Aug 10 14:05:07 EDT 2003

It is a fact of nature that a tube in moving air will generate vortices
which will induce vibrations. Whether or not the antenna vibrates under that
is a matter of element rigidity (material), not element design (to a large
extend, that is true, see note below). If the element is rigid (i.e. made of
material with high tensile strength, strong material if you will), it will
vibrate.

To eliminate the vibration, either use soft, ductile material (such as lead,
that would work great to dampen vibrations :-), or install a damping
mechanism. That's what the rope is for. The rope inside the tube does the
same thing as if it were wound around a bell: stop the vibration.

Note: in the US, many cars come with a straight piece of stiff wire as an
antenna. These "sing" when the car is at speed. This is the same phenomenon
as the beam antenna elements vibrating, because the wire is much smaller,
the vibrations are at a much higher frequency. To eliminate the singing,
someone patented an idea: wrap a wire in loose turns around the antenna wire
(like 10 to 15 cm pitch). That kills the vibration. Now, all the US
manufacturers have patented that design. This is not very practical for a
beam antenna, as the "wire" that would be used would have to be almost as
large as the element tube itself..

73,
Didier/KO4BB