[TowerTalk] Rebar cage for tower footing

Mike Rhodes weightdn at adelphia.net
Sun Aug 10 17:21:24 EDT 2003

Bob,
  Not a Civil Engineer by any stretch of the imagination but one of the
reasons for not having the rebar breach the concrete is rust. That exposed
end will make a super-highway for rust and assuming there is a path,
eventually there will be no more rebar in your concrete. Instead there will
be nice 1/2 inch paths with nothing but air - or worse - moisture in them.
  No idea where or when I read it but seem to recall the proper method is to
put something like paving stones of the appropriate size under the rebar
such that, when the concrete is poured, the paving stones keep the rebar
waway from the surrounding earth and themselves become sealed in the
concrete.

Mike / W8DN