[TowerTalk] Single point ground system connection to tower(??????)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 13:20:28 EDT 2003

Don't forget that there is a big difference between:
1) electrical safety ground (the green wire)
2) Lightning protection ground
3) RF common

Single point ground is fine "within a box", but you start running wires out
of the box and you need to carefully contemplate what's going on.

The green wire ground can be RF high impedance...it's designed to conduct
60Hz....
The RF common (i.e. the coax shield) can (and should) be isolated from a
conductor designed to carry lightning currents.  Some recommendations I've
seen are to run the coax through an isolated (i.e. not buried) piece of
steel pipe, which acts as a nice choke for fast transients.

There's also NEC requirements for the physical grounds to be interconnected.

Jim, W6RMK

So, to your question: