[TowerTalk] Chicago Tribune: Antenna Stirs Static Among Neighbors

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 14 09:01:38 EDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:07:33 -0500, "srefurd" <srefurd at earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I believe the standard is "free to practice my rights up to the point that
>they infringe on the rights of others"  Now I have probably misquoted that
>but the idea is the same.  How is having a tower on someone's property
>infringing?
Believe me, I am the last one to want restrictions on towers, but I
think we need to be aware of the neighbor's point of view too.  There
are hams who have the attitude "It's my property and I'll do as I
please and to hell with everyone else".  That doesn't wash in modern
day America and will cause problems for all of us if it continues.

>Oh, they have the right to have a pretty neighborhood you say.  I should
>give up my hard earned hobby/right to be in amateur radio simply because
>someone wants me to?
Nobody is forcing you to give up amateur radio and if you phrase it in
those terms, your local zoning board may turn a deaf ear.  They know
that communication is possible with a 35 foot tower, so don't try to
tell them that will put you out of the hobby or you will lose
credibility.  Instead, try to convince them why you need a 100-footer.

>I don't think people should be allowed to drive SUVs, They guzzle gas, block
>my view of the road, and generally kill the other people involved in the
>wrecks they get in.  So should I take your truck or SUV away from you/outlaw
>them?
Would the world be a better place without SUVs?  If and when the
majority says yes, it's goodbye SUVs.  It's called majority rule, the
basic element of democracy.

>There are some people that object simply to be objecting.
True.  Hopefully zoning boards are aware of such people.

>Now true the shot provided of the antennas were by no means comprehensive,
>but they probably did a good job of showing the situation.  In a nutshell I
>don't think the installation was out of line.
Neither do I, but then, I'm a ham.  :-)

>Kinda reminds me of a college
>firing range that has been here for 20+ years  neighbors moved in and tried
>to get it shut down because of the shooting at night.  They knew the range
>was there before they moved in.
Some things are "grandfathered", some are not.  Airports have the same
problem.  Again, the majority rules.

>Just to throw something else on the fire, wouldn't
>limiting a
>persons tower installation be infringing on their right to self expression.
>(barring LEGITIMATE safety concerns)
No.  As mentioned before, communication is readily possible with a
35-footer.  A good operator with such an antenna could probably
achieve DXCC in a month.  Am I ADVOCATING 35-footers?  Of course not.
Just stating the obvious.

>Oh yeah I was just making a point with the stuff about SUVs and trucks.
Point taken.

--
73, Bill W7TI