[TowerTalk] MA-550 advice...

David Giuliani David at Giuliani.org
Mon Aug 18 09:39:20 EDT 2003

Jim - I'm now on your page after strugging with alternatives.  For my QTH,
the MA-550 seems perfect -- neighbor and code friendly in terms of
appearance and ability to lower it below the roofline of the house, easy to
install assuming I can work on its top side from the second story roof.

Sure could use your experience now that I'm running on this track.  E.g.:
Hadn't even thought of sound deadening as an issue.

Situatin: I'm assuming I'll use a MAB or MARB base.  Antenna will be a Force
12 3CSS weighing 25#, and a 2 meter yagi and 2m/0.70m vertical above it, and
some kind of nice rotor; a bottom mounted would certainly look nicer and be
a lot less hassle to maintain.  I'm in my mid-50's and in excellent shape,
but that may not always be the case in the future....  $ is an issue, of
course, but I want to make sure I'm not pennywise and # foolish.

Questions:

1.  Is is practical to use the MARB rotator base and still attach the unit
to the roof?  Is there an available bearing?
2.  If I don't attach to roof, does the 3.5' x 3.5' x 5' concrete pier still
provide sufficient stability?
3.  Raising lowering - do I need the MAF if I can use the roof structure
itself and a block and tackle?
4.  Motorizing the up and down...
      hand crank vs motor?
      buying the MD-75 or MD750 vs rigging a lower cost motor later?
      which US Tower options are worth it?
5.  Noise management

David, WA6PXX