[TowerTalk] double figure 8 bend

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 25 16:37:18 EDT 2003

It's pretty straightforward to join (bend?) two ropes together with the
figure 8 style knot. Tie the 8 in the end of one, loosely.  Feed the other
robe through to match the first, except coming in from the other end.  For
more security, one can tie two 8s some distance apart. You can also put
extra twists in the knot (the basic figure 8 is just an overhand knot with
an extra twist). The stacked overhand is known as a "water knot" and is
(used to be) used for making runners out of 1" tubular sling material or
tieing your swami belt (showing my age here..).

One advantage of the doubled 8 is that it's fairly flat, so it doesn't snag
as easily as the other big candidate for joining ropes

A modification of the overhand based bend, using a pair of overhands
stacked is called a grapevine knot, and was popular for slinging chocks and
hexes with round rope.  I suspect that modern fibers like Kevlar and
Spectra and bombproof sewing has changed this a bit.
(http://www.pacifier.com/~ies/grapevine.html)

Maybe searching for "double rope rappel" might turn up this technique.