[TowerTalk] sheet bends, Carrick bends, and dead sparrows

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Tue Aug 26 07:34:11 EDT 2003

Hi Jim --

   See my earlier note for the website illustrating a double figure 8 in a bend application.

   As a sailor, I have used a double sheet bend frequently to temporarily join lines of dissimilar diameter for non-critical
applications.  Like the single sheet bend, one must be careful that the dead ends of the two lines lay on the same side of the knot.
The so-called "left hand sheet bend" is considered weaker, according to Ashley's book of knots (closest thing to an authoritative
source that I've found).

   I have used two bowlines tied together as well -- a good solution based on a simple knot that I know well.  However, I now pay
close attention to knots used by firemen and rescue technicians.  The standards development groups for these trained professionals
study knots and rigging technology very carefully: not only do their lives depend on using the right tool (including lines and
knots) for the job, but so do the lives of the people they are rescuing.

   -- Eric K3NA