[TowerTalk] Slings instead of knots

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 10:30:12 EDT 2003

In a message dated 8/26/03 5:52:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jameswarren at swbell.net writes:

> I got so tired of having the ground crew send me up antennas and
>  brackets tied with impossible to untie knots that I started using
>  small shackles, but then someone would tighten them with a wrench!

    Ugh. If you're the guy on the tower - you're in charge. You should have a
pre-work meeting to cover safety, tools, and techniques. YOU tell them what
to do and what you expect.

>  I finally settled on short two foot choker ropes (slings) - piece of
>  3/8" nylon rope with a woven loop in each end.

    I've used 1-inch nylon continuous loop slings for years. Along with
carabiners, they're the tower climber's BEST FRIENDS! The slings will go around
just about anything including masts and other irregularly shaped objects and when
you choke them, they don't slip. And they come off in a flash.

    And by an amazing coincidence, Champion Radio Products carries them.  <A
HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com</A>

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
Champion Radio Products