[TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sun Aug 31 12:48:59 EDT 2003

> Personally, I vote for no connectors in the rotator loop.  Pl-259's
> are notorious for coming loose anyway, and in the loop environment
> you're just asking for trouble.  I've used no-connector loops for
> years with no trouble.  When I'm installing the coax, I always have
> someone on the ground do a complete rotation while I'm up there so I
> can adjust as needed.  Works fine.
>
> --
> Bill, W7TI

Bill,

I carry two sets of pliers up the tower with me anytime I expect to undo
PL-259's.  They either come apart by firm hand twisting or by use of the
pliers.  I've never found one loose.  I'm not sure how they could possibly
come loose under layers of tape.

In the loop environment, placement of one pl-259 would be at the antenna or
antenna balun.  The other 259 would be at the end of a portion of the jumper
which was strapped to the tower.  In both cases, the 259's should be
unaffected by the movement of the coax when rotating the antennas.

73,
dale, kg5u