[TowerTalk] N4XM Match Info request

Paul Christensen, Esq. w9ac at arrl.net
Mon Dec 1 08:42:38 EST 2003

While I do not have experience as a patent examiner, I do have several
patents pending with the USPTO.  I agree with John's assessment of the
XMatch patent.

The validity of any patent stands or falls based upon its claims.  The
XMatch patent contains only seven claims with claims 5 through 7 describing
a means for switching an input to an aux port (5); a bypass to ground (6);
and a bypass to an aux port (7).

Claims 2 and 3 simply describes the use of a Pi and L network.  The meat of
the claims rest with claims (1) and (4) in that it describes a way for
switching the networks alone....little more is claimed in the XMatch patent
other than a means for switching a Pi and/or L network.

In order to obtain a valid patent, the invention must be (1) useful; (2)
novel;  and (3) non-obvious. Useful means that the invention is capable
(through utility) of serving a useful purpose. Novelty in this context means
that the invention was not fully disclosed in a single prior-art reference.
*The obviousness standard refers to the invention not being obvious to one
skilled in the art to which the invention pertains on the basis of a single
reference or a combination of references.*

In my opinion, the XMatch patent completely fails to satisfy the third
requirement.  I suspect the issuing patent examiner did not comprehend the
patent claims:  Bogus patents are issued every day.

-Paul, W9AC