[TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

kb9cry at comcast.net kb9cry at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 19:18:14 EST 2003

What I would do is to attach a pipe clamp (muffler clamp or actual piping clamp) onto the mast above the thrust bearing.  Now the weight of the mast/ants will be borne on the top of the bearing.  Then I would loosen the three bearing screws; these only serve to center the mast in the bearing and will not (repeat will not) hold up the weight of the assembly.  Then I would obtain a piece of uni-strut (slotted steel angle) or some angle iron with pre-drilled holes (available at Home Depot) and attach (u-bolts) that to the mast and to two of the tower legs below the top plate.  This will keep the mast in the center of the tower.  Then if you can remove the rotator; now that I write this that angle iron holding the mast in the center may need to be loosened so you can physically remove the rotator.  It should easily be removed out of an existing opening in the braces without cutting any, which is highly not recommended.  Practice on the tower at the ground level to ensure this will happen.  Gd luck, be safe, and an extra set of hands up the tower should make this happen real quick like.  Phil  KB9CRY