[TowerTalk] KT-34A (balun)

Larry Schimelpfenig k7sv at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 1 15:02:31 EST 2003

I pondered the same question when I needed to replace the balun for my
KT36XA. I started by putting a $20 dollar 4:1 in place of the KLM. It
corrected the problem, but the VSWR curves looked different than they had
with the KLM. Next I borrowed an Array Solutions 4:1 balun from a friend to
see what it did. The VSWR curves with the Array Solution balun looked very
similar to those using the KLM balun.

Another friend has had good luck with baluns from Radio Works. I ended up
purchasing a 4:1 from those folks and I haven't seen any difference between
it, the $90 Array Solutions unit, and the original KLM balun.

A caveat here is that I run strictly low power. I know that the balun I
currently use does what it's supposed day after day at low power. How it
would hold up to high power, especially constant duty cycle with RTTY is
another question.

Two things to watch for on the original KLM baluns. First, they used to use
a stainless steel machine screw as the external studs. Internally the leads
from the balun were layed in the slot of the machine screw and soldered. At
one time one of those leads came loose from the stud. The final problem I
had was ingress of water.

In my book, were I running full power RTTY I'd probably consider  one of the
5KW jobs from Array Solutions. It's a little spendy, but Array Solutions has
a great reputation for standing behind their products. For typical full
power cw and ssb ops, I think the Radio Works unit is fine. Based on what I
saw with the cheapy, I'd stay away from the bargain basement units.

Larry

"I just obtained a used KT-34A because the price was right (free).  Looks
to be in great shape, but I'm still going to purchase the M2 rehab kit.
   The balun needs to be replaced however (broken).  M2 wants $119 for
the replacement while other 4:1 baluns can be purchased for considerbly
less (in the $20-30 range).  Would this be a mistake?  Would I be buying
a problem or do I get what I'm paying for?  Anyone have any helpful tips?"