[TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Mon Dec 1 16:09:10 EST 2003

Barry,

I've replaced the rotator twice in our club's rohn 45g 80' tower.
 Here's my procedure:

1.  Go to Home Depot (or equiv) and buy 4 u-bolts to fit the mast and
3 to fit the legs.

2.  Buy three pieces of the right-angle stock with the holes in it.

3.  Attach (finger-tight) each piece of stock to a leg with the leg
u-bolt.  attach (finger-tight) the stock pieces to the mast with the
mast-sized u-bolts.

4.  Loosen the mast in the rotator.

5.  With a crow-bar or pry-bar between the mast end and rotator, lift
the rotator a 1/4-1/2".  Put a shim or something in to hold the mast
in place.  Attach the 4th mast u-bolt to the mast at the top of the
thrust bearing.  Lift the mast and remove the shim.

6.  If the antennas are pointed where you want, tighten the angle
stock piece u-bolts.

This method kept a 4-element 15m beam (@90') and a 204BA at 80'
pointed in one direction and made the removal and, two weeks later,
the installation of the rotator a breeze.

I've used this method on my rohn 25g at home a couple of times and it
works like a charm.

I can speak from experience that a mast  free to lean with antennas
mounted on it will be extremely difficult and dangerous to get back
into the rotator clamshell half--then you have to manage to get the
other half of the clamshell on while keeping the mast in place.

Good luck and 73,
dale, kg5u