[TowerTalk] Multiple tower/stack question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 04:38:44 EST 2003

This is an ideal application for a quick and dirty antenna model using any
one of the versions of NEC out there (several nice ones are free: 4nec2 is
my favorite, but there are others).  You don't need to make super duper
models (you're not trying to figure out sidelobes down to -40 dB or measure
input impedance to a gnat's eyelash).  Just model the towers as a single fat
conductor of the appropriate height and diameter, and use some fairly
standard multi element Yagi model (no need to worry about taper, etc. just
get the elements positions and lengths right).

Then, excite the antenna(s) you're interested in and take a look at the
current induced on "other stuff".  If the currents are "small" (compared to
the currents in your antenna), then they'll have a small effect on the
pattern.  You could try looking at the radiation patterns, but to really
believe those, you'd have to make a better effort to model the antenna, and
that will run into more segments, more work, more time.  What you're looking
for is more of a qualitative answer to: "is A better or worse than B or than
C", and for that, looking at the graphical display of induced currents will
work just fine.

Jim, w6rmk