[TowerTalk] RE: Erecting tower

Dino Darling k6rix at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 20:16:26 EST 2003

For those who may not know....

I wanted to point out what vibrating concrete does.  It PECULATES the air
pockets or VOIDS out of the pour (see below).  Voids will cause weak spots
in the base!  If you OVER-VIBRATE the pour, the aggregate (rocks) will sink
to the bottom of the pour and you lose the STRENGTH those rocks
provide.  Don't pour the entire base and then vibrate.  Vibrate as you
go!  It tough for air to work its way up 6' of concrete if its thick (low
slump).  When you see no more bubbles coming up, STOP!  Plunge the vibrator
in and out of the pour as you go.

Also, don't let the head come out of the pour or you'll have concrete
splashed EVERYWHERE!  Its like a mixer coming out of cake mix!

Dino...k6rix at earthlink.net