[TowerTalk] RE: Erecting tower

Tom Anderson WW5L at gte.net
Fri Dec 5 12:09:24 EST 2003

Ken:

When I put up Rohn 25 at my first QTH I bolted 2 sections together, made
sure they were  plumb, and tied them off in several directions before
pouring the concrete.
As the concrete as being poured I constantly rechecked the bottom
section with a level to make sure it stayed plumb and tightened/loosened
any of the support ropes to make sure it stayed plumb.  Did same as the
concrete was drying although little/no movement was detected after the
concrete was poured.
I buried about 4-5 feet of the 1st section.

 Also I put a several inch layer of river rock/gravel in the bottom of
the hole and set the legs of the bottom section into it about a foot
inches or so to allow for drainage, even though freezing is not that
much of a worry in Texas.  Lets any condensation that forms inside the
legs to drain out.

Tom, WW5L