[TowerTalk] electric fence qrn

Tony King - W4ZT towertalk at w4zt.com
Tue Dec 9 10:22:01 EST 2003

There are, as stated here, many different chargers manufactured for
electric fence use.  Most of the "Fi-do" and continuous current types
aren't the fence charger of choice for "large" animals and long fence runs,
especially those where the owner may depend on the charger to burn weed
tips to keep down the loss of energy due to leakage in undergrowth. The
preferred charger produces about half a second of high voltage A/C at about
3 second intervals which will literally burn weed tips and will bridge the
time/distance gap to the larger animals (and remind you why you keep your
fingers off high voltage too!).

We had one of the "weed burners" which I lived with for years and previous
posts regarding good grounding and good connections are the best
advice.  With those precautions, I've operated with hardly more than an
occasional buzz when a weed got too close.  You can help your neighbor with
a good ground rod and clamp plus remaking all those one or two
twist  splices in the high voltage lead.

A side note, I also had one of the continuous current chargers in use for a
time which became the worst source of RFI I ever saw... I may still have it
in a junk box. It looks good... it will shock you... but you can't
communicate anywhere near it or the fence it's attached to.

Good luck with your quest!

73,
Tony W4ZT