[TowerTalk] RE: Rohn

Mel mel.martin at axare.mail.net
Sat Dec 13 07:15:12 EST 2003

>I dunno if we can call Canada a low priced labor source or not.

Until quite recently, out undervalued dollar gave us a leg up... But
generally labour costs are higher here... But productivity is generally
also higher.

>No such thing as a free trade agreement. Some has to lose, or be worse
off !!

FTA's does cause some displacement... But in theory will improve things
for everyone. The US government isn't going to enter into any agreement
that does not engender some long term benefit to the United States.
Typically, low tech jobs are lost, but high tech jobs are gained. The
latter generate more overall benefit to the State.

>Of course you thank the unions....that is why you have holidays, sick
leave and work 8 hour shifts....not because your boss wants to give you
those conditions....because he has to... unions fought long and hard for
the workers!!!

I don't know the situation there, but here it seems the unions fight
long and hard for the unions!

It's a shame about Rohn... I hope the new owners continue to make low
end towers... But maybe there is no money to be made at it...