[TowerTalk] One more ground radial question

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 00:05:39 EST 2003

Dear Paul:

I apologize if I inadvertently denigrated your suggestion regarding ununs.
However, I advise you to dial down your sensitivity level.  I do not believe
I ever wrote anything that cast aspersions on the method you proposed.  I am
sure your method is legitimate; it is merely not what I would do, that is
all.  I am just a guy who enjoys messing around with ham radio, who gave an
opinion on how I would proceed, in an attempt to help someone with a
problem.   I am not an antenna theory Ph.D. or any other expert so I think
you are giving too much weight to my advice, more even than I give it.  I
wouldn't be surprised if I am right about 50% of the time, maybe less.  I am
sure there will be those with more knowledge and experience who will correct
me if what I wrote was incorrect.  That is the beauty of a public forum for
ideas, we all learn something, especially me.  I do not know you and have
never met you--I assure you an ulterior motive to cast you in a bad light
was entirely beyond my thinking.

To answer your question:  I have never used an unun in the manner you
describe.  I have also never operated with an inverted L and have never used
a feedpoint matching network.   My advice was based on what I have read over
time; this led me to believe that a matching network would have a wider
range and the potential for better power transfer.  I probably should have
confined my advice to knowledge from direct experience and done a better job
of suppressing my ego.  My apologies.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ