[TowerTalk] My New 40M Antenna

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Dec 18 16:48:27 EST 2003

At 02:30 PM 12/18/03 -0600, Chuck Sudds wrote:
>Thanks for the photos and information about the installation, Phil!  Very
>impressive.  Looks like you had fewer problems then I did getting my 5el
>20M monobander atop my 90ft Rohn 45G.  Bent a Rohn gin pole in the
>process.  Next time, the "Tram System" will definitely be used!

Many people argue for the use of a backstay because, as Phil says, this
puts a lot of stress on the mast.  W9LT (now WA7LT) taught me how to do
this using a single cable and what he called a tiller, which is a short
piece of tubing u-bolted to the boom like another element.  Put a pulley on
the end of the "tiller," also running on the tram line, and you can adjust
how high the leading ends of the elements ride so they don't hang up in the
top guys as you approach the tower.

73, Pete N4ZR
Happy Holidays
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database at
  www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm