[TowerTalk] Vertical balun

Ron & Madhavi mchilkuri at kasnet.com
Fri Dec 19 08:00:00 EST 2003

I stacked about 10 torroids directly below the feed point of my wire
vertical, but it didn't do a thing to choke the common mode currents. Seeing
I can't have a heavy coax coil balun directly under my elevated the feed
point (as the support mast is a flimsy aluminium pole on the roof!), I wound
the coax around a 3.5" dia 12" former at the point the feeder enters the
shack - Viola......it cured all my RFI problems. The former was the largest
dia container I found and stole from the XYL's kitchen!
I am certain that larger dia PVC pipe would be more effective.

One needs to improvise when you live in a place like Jamaica! No stores for
UNUNS, Baluns etc! In fact, I can hardly find 50 ohm coax here!

73,
Ron, 6Y5/4S7RO