[TowerTalk] Vertical balun - is it the solution?

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Dec 19 11:49:14 EST 2003

I agree with Jim, not because he is on a buddy list but because:

A lot of times hams will tend to look for the easy fix, a checkbook
engineering answer, and that may not be the right one!  May make you
feel warm and fuzzy because a meter reads better than it used to but did
it fix the root problem?

This is especially true for guys like myself who are appliance operators
and NOT engineers or savvy to electronics. I can twist a wrench with the
best of them but for the life of me do not "get" much of the RF end of
things and appreciate more detailed responses to topics versus "this works".

Like the popular analogy used here frequently, if you are just looking
for great SWR lose the antenna and get a dummy load!  What we need to
focus on is obviously putting RF into the ether as efficiently as
possible to make our ability to communicate as effective as possible!

I like towertalk, input is from a variety of sources and sometimes
misconceptions that I have are set straight.  I have found some
fantastic stuff on the web thanks to being pointed in that direction in
someone's posting..

Because the internet is an equal opportunity conduit for ideas the good
and bad ideas can be equally valid on the surface... use what you see on
the reflectors as a starting point and you should be fine... like one of
my medical doctors tells me - do not believe everything you see on the
internet!

Season's

Jim, K4OJ