[TowerTalk] stranded copperweld wire - reports please

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Dec 20 14:23:06 EST 2003

At 06:45 PM 12/20/03 +0000, Barry wrote:

>Avoid stranded copperweld!
>
>A number of years ago, I built a bunch of lowband wires using this
>stuff (purchased from Wireman).  Within 2-3 years it all broke.  What
>happens is the strands rub against each other as it sways in the
>wind, abrades the copper off, exposing the steel core, then it rusts
>and breaks.  Never again!
>
>Yes, solid copperweld is tough to work with, but I've never had it
>fail.

I've also been quite happy with #14 THHN.  I have used it in my 80m array,
under very considerable tension, for 5 years now with no failures.  I did
reinforce the wire loops at the insulators with split bolts, out of concern
that soldering might have caused the copper to weaken.

73, Pete N4ZR
Happy Holidays
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database at
  www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm