[TowerTalk] SteppIR beams

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Sat Dec 20 20:49:09 EST 2003

I had a 3 element SteppIR up in Vermont through one winter.
At one point, I had 1" of radial ice on the elements.  They
sagged, but didn't break.  Withstood 50-60kt winds as well, but
not with the iceload onboard.

I routinely retracted the elements when not in use, because
the tower was surrounded by 150' white pines, which routinely
shed very heavy and large branches.  I anticipated they'd hit
the beam and break something.  So I pulled the conductors in, to
minimize potential damage.  Takes only a minute, either in or out.

Crash parts are inexpensive.  About 30 bucks for a fiberglass element.
The BeCu tapes can be repaired/replaced at the factory for a nominal
fee, as well.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best antenna I've ever played
with.  Get the computer interface.  Contemplate the "BoomSlide" to
facilitate on-tower assembly.

Although I have limited evidence to offer, I believe it's robust
enough.

Jim Jarvis, N2EA
International Business Development
Salesforce Development Programs