[TowerTalk] Baluns

David Knepper cra at floodcity.net
Wed Dec 24 07:18:30 EST 2003

I would like to know how to construct a light weight balun for my Wilson
beam (20,15,10 meters).  Coax or ferrite?

1.  How do I go about attaching the balun to the mast or boom?  Where is the
best location?

2.  How far away from the mast or boom should the balun be placed to avoid
any detuning?

3.  I have been told that PVC absorbs R.F.?  Should I be using some other
material to wind the coax on?

4.  What type of coax should be used for if I am feeding the beam with 1 KW?

5. And, finally, should the balun be encased in some kind of waterproof
container?  What kind of?

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Dave, W3ST
Publisher of the Collins Journal