[TowerTalk] 160m inverted L status report and "to choke or not to choke"

Jerry Connelly jerryc at clinchrivercorp.com
Sat Dec 27 11:08:17 EST 2003

Hello all
After the swr fluctuations due to wet weather and ground radials, I made
a few changes and made some headway.  I had a temporary feedline
section about 10' long from my remote switch to the 160m L and it wasn't
sealed properly.  I replaced it with a well sealed cable and that helped some.
The rest of the swr was from the fairly low impedence of the inverted L.
It ended up being about 20 to 25 ohms at the feedpoint.  The twin 1/4 wave
coaxial feedline matching sounds promising but I currently use a single coaxial
feedline (in buried conduit) to the tower location connected to a remote switch.
Not having 180' of 75 ohm coax handy,  it was cheaper for me to try the unun route and
it worked like a champ.  I am using the 22 ohm tap and the swr is very low (wet or dry).
The input impedence should go down even lower as I add more radials so I may have to
change taps once thats done.
Only one question.   In all that I've downloaded and read about the inverted Ls,  I've haven't
noticed anything regarding a choke or decoupler of any kind.  Dipoles, half slopers,  even
ground planes have references to coaxial or other chokes.  Would one be desirable on
the feed for the inverted L???  If so, what type wouild work best.....coaxial,  beads, etc??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JerryC
KC8TES